Friday, December 4, 2009

Seriously, It Costs That Much?!

I love shopping. It's literally one of my favorite things to do. I don't know why, but it's calming and enjoyable with a tiny spark of excitement in the anticipation of the item's first wearing, first use or initial display, not to mention the look on one's face if you're giving the item as a gift. There is nothing better than the sparkle in a recipient's eyes when they open a much-anticipated present. That being said, this time of year is an excellent time to partake in the latter. I have a very large internal circle of family in which I exchange presents with. With three parents, four siblings (and spouses), seven nieces and nephews, two grandparents, two like-a-second moms and David...the numbers add up quickly. But, this is also one of my favorite times of year so I greatly enjoy the exchange of gifts and the delightful gleams on everyone's faces. That being said, I have approximately four of these people/couples left to buy for...of course, the last few being the hardest to buy for. But, I came up with this great idea. I first came across this idea a few months back when browsing through an antique/craft shop with David's mom. Then, I saw them again at An Affair of the Heart (my favorite Christmas buying excursion), but no real luck due to the cost. Soooooo...I thought that perhaps I might have more luck just googling the idea on the good old 'net. Wow is all I have to say.

Here's my gift idea...





...only the idea is to pick the letters of the recipient's last name. I would LOVE to have one of these for my house and even David's. I've actually considering buying one for David's house, but it seems kind of silly to buy a grown man decorations for his house when he'd rather receive Legos. Yes, Legos. Don't ask.

Another reason why I liked this gift idea is that it seems like something that one would never buy for themselves. One year my stepdad's parents went with an idea similar and it went over extremely well. Only, the premise of their last name hanging was a crocheted doily matted in a frame. They're gorgeous. My parents still have theirs. Regardless, the cheapest ones of the above pictured idea that I could find on the internet was around $100. Really?? Seriously?? It's a few pictures...framed...and that's it. I can understand if you pick an expensive/ornate frame, a detailed matting, an extra large (20x24) version OR if your name was 16 letters. But, for just a plane jane black frame, white matting with a 5-10 letter name??? Reeeeeediculous. About as ridiculous as the pet rock. Just my personal opinion.

Phew...glad my first "mud" blog is out of the way. Now I can get into the good stuff. For the past couple weeks I've had ideas, but they all have involved bathrooms. And I didn't want my first "mud" labeled blog to be about bathrooms. Especially when every other blog is about food. However, one of my ideas/inquiries was why women will breeze into a public restroom, try to push open a locked stall door, then get embarrassed and wait for that person to finish and leave rather than simply squat and check to see if there are feet under the other stalls. Then there's that awkward look exchanged between women when the occupier is exiting the stall. This happened to me last week and mine was the only occupied stall in the entire bathroom. ::sigh:: I wish I could say this was the first and only time this has ever occurred...but, it's not and I doubt it'll be my last.

I hope everyone has a fun-filled weekend. Tonight I'll be viewing New Moon in the balcony of the Warren Theater with one of my best friends. Then, Saturday I'll be participating in a potluck pre-Christmas dinner with my stepdad's family. I love getting to see all my aunts, uncles and cousins even if it only might be this one time per year. Next week I'm sure I'll detail what I bring...but, I'm not going to tell you what it is just yet. You can just live in the anticipation. Then, I'll be headed for a football game on Sunday...in the bitter cold. We'll see if I live through it.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that bathroom thing too. I mean, really, is it that difficult to lean down a little to see if there are feet below? And what's worse is that many a public restroom locks don't work so if someone doesn't check for feet they're liable to catch a show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the Legos. And the stall incidents. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails