Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pungent PW Pasta

David's been out in the field this week...so you know what that means! Experimentation time! So...on Tuesday night I decided to try out this delectable Pioneer Woman recipe. Only...I don't like artichokes. Yick...they're gross. Something about the mushy consistency and the gross flavor. Not my cup o' tea. Soooooo, I decided to make this recipe sans artichokes and it turned out great! And by the way, I went a little crazy on the photos so just bear with me...

I started out by boiling some whole wheat pasta in some water (with olive oil and salt).

Then, to start off with the sauce I heated up some butter and olive oil.


Once that was nice and hot I added the requisite diced tomatoes, chopped onions and garlic. Mmmm...garlic. Have I mentioned how much I love garlic? And have I also mentioned I always double the garlic quantities in recipes? So while PW suggests three cloves of garlic, I added five or six.

After that cooked for a while I added the cream, broth and nutmeg. Mmmmmm...the nutmeg was a nice choice.


After that heated up I mixed about half the mixture with the pasta I had prepared. I'm not cooking for a husband and a handful of children, so there was no need for me to make five pounds of the stuff. So, I poured the other half of the sauce into a Tupperware-type container and froze it. I figure it'll make a nice quick meal or side dish (for David) next time around. All I'll have to do is cook some pasta and heat up this delectable sauce.


David does not consider a meal a...well, meal, unless it has meat in the starring role. His exact phrase has always been, "Something's gotta die." Nice, huh? So, while this was a savory meal for me on a weeknight...it wouldn't have worked for him. Which is exactly why I tried it out while he was off on business.

If you didn't click on the link for the recipe at the top of this post, here it is again. The PW has a nice link at the bottom of all of her posts to print out her recipes. And feel free to try it with the artichokes if that makes you feel better. Me...I'll continue to hold the stuff at arms' length.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails