Monday, December 14, 2009

The Da Vinci Code

I know I'm way behind the curve on this one, but sometimes that just happens. This book was published back in 2003 and transformed on to the silver screen in 2006. I saw approximately two-thirds of the movie a while back (don't ask me why not the whole thing) and it intrigued me. But then, Tom Hanks movies, if not intriguing, are always good. Can you seriously think of a bad Tom Hanks movie? Big, Cast Away, The Green Mile, When Harry Met Sally, Forrest Gump, A League of Their Own, Apollo 13, You've Got Mail...I could go on and on. The man doesn't make a bad movie. Anyway! I saw enough of the movie to get me to read the book...it's just that it's taken me this long to get around to that. Maybe that should be another book project...move all the books that have been on my "to read" list the longest to the front of the line. Or something. I started this book the weekend before last and finished it on Saturday. Good book. Very good book. I'm excited to watch the ENTIRE movie via Netflix.

Basically, the gist of this story is that a curator of the Louvre is murdered in connection to a Holy Grail pursuit. The curator's granddaughter and an American symbologist get caught up in the murder investigation as suspects. The rest of the novel consists of their story, while on the run from the authorities. There's numerous twists and turns along the way including an interesting twist on what the Holy Grail actually is. Many people consider the book and movie blasphemous and after reading it...I can see why. Dan Brown does a very good job making a fictional piece of work SEEM believable...but, that's all it does. It seems believable; it's not truth. I'll definitely be continuing to read Dan Brown as this was an excellently played out story line.

Now, I'm on to Dear John so I can finish it and swap books with my friend...that way we'll both be ready for the movie come February! Unfortunately, that's the only book I have going right now. David and I went to Half-Price Books on Saturday to peruse the selection and there weren't any audiobooks from my "to read" list. ::sigh:: I'll try again later this week as their variety changes from day to day, luckily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails