Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Meat Loaf Experimentation


Is this picture not the funniest thing?  This is a meal loaf cake that was made for my director at work.  In our office the birthday person gets to pick the flavor of cake they want, after all it is THEIR birthday.  Tom picked a meat loaf cake.  This all stemmed from a visit to the website, thisiswhyyourefat.com.  Seriously, you need to go visit this website, there is some diiiiiiiisgusting things on there.  But, I will say this was actually very tasty and pretty too.  It looked like carrot cake!

Now, back to my kitchen...I have been experimenting with meat loaf for a couple months.  This is an awesome, southern comfort food and is a nice change from time to time.  The bad thing is that I've never had a GOOD meat loaf recipe.  My mom's recipe is in her head and I know my grandfather's "secret ingredient," but no actual recipe.  Well, I think I've finally made a meat loaf that I will repeat because it was sooooooo good!  David loved it too, so I'm adding it under the category of "Dave's Faves."  This recipe is a combination of a couple recipes I had in my book (one from the back of a Redbook magazine and one from an email chain) and both my mother's and grandfather's recipes.  Try it and enjoy!

Crystal's Meat Loaf

2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/4 c. onion, finely diced
1 1/4 c. mushroom, finely chopped
1/2 celery, finely diced
1 whole red bell pepper, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
4-6 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 eggs
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
12 oz. package of hot sausage
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large skiller heat butter until melted and foaming.  Add onions, mushrooms, celery and red bell pepper.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cook a few minutes, being careful to not brown.

Sprinkle thyme over onion mixture.  Add garlic.  Cook and stir until onions are tender and translucent.  Stir in chopped carrot; remove from heat.  Cool completely.

Meanwhile, soak bread in half-and-half. 

Beat eggs.

In large mixing bowl combine meats.  Once mixed, combine with cooled vegetables, bread crumb mixture and eggs.  Add the salt and pepper measurements listed above.  Using hands, mix until well blended.

Turn mixture into baking dish, shape into loaf. 

For ketchup topping: combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar.  Spoon over top of meat loaf.

Bake on middle rack for one hour.  Let rest for ten minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. I need the recipe for your regular meatloaf! Did I miss it somewhere? See, Susie Q reads your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails