Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Dang Quesadilla!

When David was out in the field a couple of weeks ago I decided to make myself a "dang quesadilla."  My friends love this Napolean Dynamite term and one of my best friends ONLY orders quesadillas when we eat at Mexican restaurants.  She has a quesadilla addiction.  We're going to try and get her help...soon...or maybe not.  Is a quesadilla addiction really all that bad?  I have a cheese addiction and I don't think it's a problem...

Anyway!  I decided to randomly whip up these quesadillas and they were very good!  I started off with about 1/4 pound of hamburger meat.  This turned out to be a little more than I would have wanted...so maybe start with between 1/4 and 1/8 pound.  It just depends on how "meaty" you want your quesadilla to be.  While browning the meat, I added some chili powder and cayenne pepper to flavor the meat, then I added in a few home-grown red pepper flakes (courtesy of my farm boy fiancĂ©).  You can decide how much of each spice you want based upon your flair for the spicy...I probably added a 1/2 teaspoon of each.  I love, love, love, love spicy food though...and this wasn't too terribly hot to me.  But, that's just me.




After the meat is fully cooked, drain grease and remove from pan.  Using the same skillet, place one whole wheat tortilla to start warming on a medium-low temperature. 

*Side Note: Has anyone tried whole wheat tortillas?  They're wonderful!  Now, regular flour tortillas have their place and are a requirement when visiting Mexican food establishments, such as Ted's Escondido.  But, if you're trying to stay healthy while preparing a dish at home, I highly recommend them!  They've got a little bit of a sweet taste to them, which I really like.

After you throw the tortilla into the skillet, add the meat on top then some onion (about 1/4 cup or less).  I would have used a regular white or yellow onion, but I had some green onion in the fridge that I wanted to use up, so instead I chopped that up and added it.  After that, sprinkle a good amount of cheese over it all.  I used cheddar, but if you have a mexican blend that would be even better!



Immediately place the second tortilla on top so that as the cheese starts to melt, it'll melt into the tortilla and make it all a yummy, gooey combination.



After a few minutes, flip the quesadilla so that the top has a chance to warm and brown for a moment.  Then, place the quesadilla on a plate and cut so that you get a total of four quarters.  I poured some salsa on to my plate, but feel free to add sour cream or guacamole if you have some.  These were quite tasty and it was a quick and easy meal for one person!




I'll definitely be making these again soon...probably when David's out in the field again.  Next time I might add some bell pepper or jalapeno!  Scrumptious AND relatively healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails