Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rhubarb Pie - A Dave's Fave

One very important thing that meeting David has done for me involves introducing rhubarb to my eating/cooking/baking repertoire.  I'd heard of it before meeting him, but had never tasted the wondermousness that is this fruit/vegetable.  And when writing this post, I had to stop and look up whether or not it's a fruit or vegetable.  According to Wikipedia, it's both!  How funny and odd!

Anyway, other than coconut cream pie (for my recipe click here), rhubarb pie is David's absolute favorite.  Like most all fruits and vegetables, rhubarb has a harvesting season and is only available certain times of the year.  For the most part, spring and early summer.  I don't see it very often in the grocery store and almost never at the farmer's markets around here.  So, when I do see it, I snatch it right up!

Today was one of those days.  Lookie at my grocery store loot! 


If you've never looked for or seen this in your grocer, this is what it should look like.  A red celery, if you will.

So, with this delicious cruciferous veggie/fruit, I thought I'd share with you my favorite recipe (and David's)!  And extra bonus points, it's suuuuper easy!  Only four ingredients in the filling!!

Rhubarb Pie

2 recipe's worth of pastry crust (for my good ol' standby recipe, click here)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6ish cups of fresh rhubarb, sliced (I say 6ish because I usually just grab a bunch, like above, and whatever I end up with is what goes into the pie.)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line 9-inch pie plate with one pastry crust.


In a large bowl, gently toss together the rhubarb, sugar, flour and cinnamon.  Do this until the rhubarb is completely coated.


Transfer rhubarb mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.


Place second pasty crust on top.  Trim/crimp edges and slice openings in the top as desired.


Brush pastry top with milk and sprinkle additional sugar before baking.



Bake for 25 minutes.  Cover with foil and then bake for another 20-30 minutes. 

You could also do this opposite (cover with foil, then uncover and bake longer).  Whichever way suits you best!  I just like to get the proper amount of browning out of the way first, so that I don't have to worry about is so much at the end.  There's nothing worse than over-browning your crust within a few minutes of pulling it out of the oven.

Let the deliciousness begin starting...now!


This pie is best served with vanilla ice cream, but it still tastes great without.  I hope you give this pie recipe a go.  It really is worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails