Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up and 1984

I hope everyone had a fantastic (rest of last week and) weekend.  This past week I took a mini road trip down to the southeastern part of Oklahoma.  It was one of my bestie's birthday and because David was out of town for work, I thought I'd give her the best present I possibly could...ME!

Here are a few pics from my few days visiting.  She had a cute hot pink and zebra print themed home party.  She also took me to this awwwwesome pizza place in Broken Bow (a little bit of a drive from her house), Grateful Head Pizza.  If you're ever down there...seriously, try it.  And don't forget to take a pic next to the bear carving.  I drove my car around while I was visiting so that we could enjoy the weather with the convertible top down.  Overall, I'd say it was a good visit.  Can't wait to see her again soon!




Now that I'm back to "regular programming" I thought I'd share a book review with you on this Monday afternoon.  Since Monday's never seem to make anyone feel that fantastic...I'll share a book that I would describe as a classic Monday book...1984.


OK, so I never had to read 1984 in school.  I remember hearing about it and I knew the general premise.  So, I decided that now would be a good time to try this one out...I needed a classic for this past month, so why not?

This book was the first dystopian book ever written.  So, if it weren't for 1984 we might not ever have had The Giver series, the Hunger Games trilogy, the Divergent trilogy, the Matched trilogy, the Maze Runner series...well, you get the idea.

This book follows the main character of Winston Smith, a very average man all around.  You follow Winston throughout his middle-aged years in a society where "Big Brother" is constantly watching you.  There are cameras everywhere and absolutely everything is monitored.  Towards the end Winston gets brought in for an "inquiry" type meeting and is detained.  There is definite mind control exercises and pain is used as a negative reinforcement.  It's rather disappointing that Winston succumbs to the torture in the end. 

This is a rather not-feel-good book and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I can appreciate why it was written and understand that it's books like this that mold our future in ways that people think "let's not do that."  I gave this book three out of five stars, simply for the classic and appreciation value.  However, I'm not sure I would recommend it or ever read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails