Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Happy Birthday David!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, yesterday was David's birthday.  His parents are coming this weekend and we'll celebrate all over again, but last night my dad came over and the three of us feasted.  Feasted on what you might ask?  Why, how does t-bone steaks, homemade cream corn, salad and fresh coconut cream pie sound?

Here is a play by play of my making the pie yesterday afternoon...


And because I love you guys, I'll re-share my coconut cream pie recipe.

Coconut Cream Pie
from Southern Living

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
4 eggs (I only used 3 eggs this time around, it's rich enough!)
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked (for my crust recipe click here)

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly.  Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more.  Remove the pan from heat.

Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the yolks slightly.  Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into eggs (**important step: this is to prevent eggs from scrambling).  Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil.  Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat.

Stir butter, vanilla and coconut into the hot mixture.  Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust.  Cool.  Cover and chill to store the pie if not serving immediately.

Enjoy!

Of course, after our delicious dinner we each had a slice of this pie...and why not make it that much more decadent by whipping up some fresh cream and toasting some coconut for topping?  This was so delicious and so rich and I was so full from the meal and this dense pie that I couldn't finish this piece.  I got about an inch and a half from the edge of the crust and David, willing to take one for the team, had to finish my slice for me.


And speaking of dessert...Molly got to gnaw on the bone leftover from the t-bone that David and I shared.  She was in heaven and even had to take a short break about halfway through...at which time I confiscated the remains.  I didn't want her to get sick because she doesn't get a good bone but maybe once a year or so, so she's not used to that richness.  Don't worry, she'll get to finish it later it on tonight.  But, afterwards Molly was super happy and sleepy...I guess you could call her blissfully lethargic!


I wish I could say the decadence was over...but, David will get further spoiled later on this weekend when his parents arrive.  Plus, he'll get a German chocolate cake...my husband might have an obsession with coconut... 

Happy Wednesday everyone!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails