Thursday, May 9, 2013

Peony in Love


I'm a big Lisa See fan, in that I loved Shanghai Girls and Dreams of Joy.  I even really liked Snowflower and the Secret Fan.  So, when I found Peony in Love at my local used bookstore a while back, I picked it right up.  Like most all of my books, this one hung around in my queue for about a year or so.  I finally picked it up a couple weeks ago and gave it a go. 

Even before I picked this book up, I thought that perhaps it wouldn't be up to See's normal standard.  Virtually everyone in my book club had read it already and they all said that it was good...but, not as good as our favorite See books.  So, I had some slight trepidations when I picked up the book.

What's odd about this book is that it's a ghost story.  The main character, Peony, is alive in the first section of the story, but the rest entails her life as a ghost and how she interferes in her true love's life.  I have to say that I was kind of confused in parts, but it was all tied together in the end. 

Would I recommend this book?  Probably.  I gave it a full three out of five stars.  However, if I were to recommend you read a Lisa See book this would not be my first choice. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails