Thursday, May 30, 2013

Garden Bennys

Today I thought I'd share with you guys a quick little stroll around our garden...fruits and veggies only.  I could share flowers, but then this post would be about twice as long. 

There are many reasons why I love my husband, but one particular thing that endears me to him especially is his love of gardening (comes from being raised as a farm boy).  So, during this time of year there are all sorts of awesome things happening back behind our house. 

Our most recent and tasty treat that the backyard is currently producing is strawberries!

This container contains only last night's picking!  And there's about a dozen missing that David took in to work to share with his boss today.

I will admit that last night was the biggest harvest yet, but still!  I'm so pumped that we're getting so many, strawberries are my favorite fruit...well, if you watch the Big Bang Theory you might know they're not a real fruit.  But, I digress...



Here's a portion of what our strawberry patch looks like.


The main section of our garden that's been getting our attention (before and during strawberry picking) is this one.  The two center rows are salad mix and spinach.  Yum!  As you can see, I can have a big, fat salad pretty much whenever I want.  And spinach has been going in and on a lot of meals.  Sandwiches, salads...I even put some in the flautas I made the other night.  Spinach is probably my favorite veggie, I love it in just about any form; I love it raw and cooked.

The far left row is carrots that will be picked pretty soon...they're an experiment this year, so the verdict's still out on them.

And then the far right row is David's favorite veggie...beets.  Pardon me while I gag for a moment. ::Ack::  But, he and Molly both love them.  The traitorous little girl revealed that she liked them too last year.  Oh well...more for them!


Next up, our teeny tomato plants.  These two bad boys won't be this small for much longer.

And the two rows to the left (can you even tell there's two rows?) are green beans.  We had green beans coming out of our ears last year.  Hopefully that happens again as I'd like to experiment in canning them this year.

You might be wondering what the green stuff with flowers at the bottom is: chives!  Love 'em! 

**Please disregard the corn husks, we had some the other night and that's how David disposes of them...in the garden.  One of the many reasons why gardens aren't pretty a lot of the time.


These guys are on their way out...asparagus.  We got quite a bit more than last year, but really only two full meals worth.  I'm looking forward to a better crop next year.  In the meantime, these will continue to grow and get more branches throughout the summer...hopefully leading to an even better crop next year!


Lastly, the pots on my patio.  There are a couple flower pots in there, but those pictured mostly consist of herbs and three pepper plants. 

Our pepper plants didn't do too well in the garden last year, but a friend of mine had HUGE peppers with her potted plants.  So, that's what we're trying this year... 

The herbs I'm growing this year include: parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary and dill.  I LOVE cooking with fresh herbs!  And it's so easy to just run out to the back really quick with some snips.  You can't get much fresher than that!


Well, that's about it.  I hope you enjoyed this mini photo tour of our garden/backyard. 

Do you garden or grow your own herbs?  Want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails