Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Elevator Etiquette

What I'm about to talk about didn't happen to me on an elevator yesterday, though it typically does.  This incident occured at Walgreens and it is so frustrating!  People are in such a hurry these days and they don't take common courtesy into consideration. 

How many times have you been riding an elevator and when you reach the floor of your destination the doors open and someone tries to rush onboard before you can even think about getting off.  Or perhaps you're waiting right at the doors and they practically run over you.  A lot of times they'll look up and go, "Oh!  Excuse me."  Then, they'll step out of the way so you can deboard the elevator.  That is the courteous thing to do in this situation.  What's especially irritating is when the elevator has a good number of people on it, say four or five.  There's not that much room people!  Wait for those needing off to exit.  Anyone else on the elevator can see that you're waiting, they'll hold the button for you.  And most people will hold up their hand so that the elevator senses their arm and won't automatically close.  Don't panic, you'll make it!  No need to be rude.

This happened to me at Walgreens last night, only with those automatic sliding doors.  There are two sets of sliding doors at a Walgreens...one for entry, one for exit.  I had a gentleman enter the exit while I was trying to leave.  When he saw me coming from the opposite direction, he just stopped in his tracks and looked at me for half a second.  No, "excuse me."  Nothing.  He just stared at me like I was in his way.  Then he just kept on walking, moving around me.  Rudeness much? 

Now, don't get me wrong...I understand that it might be closer to enter through the sliding doors on whatever side of the parking lot you parked on.  And it's cold outside.  OK.  And I won't say that I've never done this before.  But, I've never blocked someone else and acted irritated with them about it.  If I have, I've apologized and quickly moved on to take care of my business, then they can move on to theirs.

Anyway, this is one of my pet peeves.  Just thought I'd vent for a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails