Friday, February 5, 2010

Crock Pot Meatballs

When David and I invited some friends from church over for dinner the other night I sat and thought about what to make.  You never really know what to make for people that you don't know really well.  I mean, David's known this couple for years and I've known them since I started attending his church.  But, it's not like we eat with them all the time and know what their food preferences are. 

I checked to see if there was anything I should completely forget about even considering.  Nothing.  The only request was nothing with almonds due to an allergy.  Well, that wasn't a problem because we all know I hate those things.  Don't ask me why I love peanut butter though...crunchy at that.  That's why I made this for dessert.  I'm weird, just don't try to understand why.  It'll make your head hurt.

Anyway!  After thinking about it and thumbing through my recipes, I decided to try this one.  Meatballs are always a crowd pleaser because they're a nice comfort food.  The only thing about this recipe that completely threw me for a loop was the chili sauce.  I've reduced the amount I actually used as compared to what I've listed below.  Because...wow...they were soooo hot.  I even added a little cream towards the end because they were that hot.  If you don't use a lot of chili sauce, then you won't have to worry about that though.  Have you ever had the atomic salsa at Ted's?  Yea, they were similarly warm.  Luckily, everyone liked spicy!  Phew!  I was really sweating that...no pun intended!

Overall though, the meatballs had a nice flavor and I will definitely make them again.  Just not as hot.  The sauce was really good with the mashed potatoes I made to go with these.  Are you noticing that I like to mix a little bit of sauce with my potatoes?  Anyone else like that?  Or is that just another one of my quirks...

Crock Pot Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck (80/20)
1 c. dry breadcrumbs
2 eggs, whisked
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. minced onion
1/3 c. ketchup
2 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
juice from half a lemon
1 can jellied cranberry sauce (16 oz.)
1 oz. or less of chili sauce (depending on how brave you want to be)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.



Combine ketchup, sugar, juice and sauces in crock pot.



Gently stir in meatballs.  Cover with lid; cook on low for 8-10 hours. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails