Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Heads in Beds


I'd been eyeballing Heads in Beds on my library app for a while.  This audiobook always had a super long wait-list and then, all of a sudden, it wasn't available for checkout anymore.  I kept it on my "wish list" for a while...then, randomly, it was available again.  I quickly checked it out before a long wait-list could be generated yet again.

I remember when this book first came out and Jacob Tomsky made the rounds of Good Morning America, the Today Show, etc., etc.  And the subtitle pretty well describes it: a reckless memoir of hotels, hustles, and so-called hospitality.  I was really expecting more of a "do this, not that" book about how to act in a hotel so that staff don't do the equivalent of a waiter spitting in your food.  But, in all actuality this book is really just a memoir.  Tomsky does give an index in the very back, telling you some "do's and don'ts" that are quite helpful.  But, that's about the extent of it.

The first thing that I would say about this book before recommending it is this: cursing.  Wow...Jacob Tomsky really does like the "f" word.  If you listen to this in audio, don't have children present.  And if you're reading it and reading-age children are around, don't leave it open and available for them to see.  Because there's a lot of cursing in this book...like, seriously, a TON.  If you can get past that, this is a pretty fun and interesting book.  Tomsky has an easy-to-read writing style and most all of his stories are either funny or entertaining.  This wasn't the best memoir I've ever read, but it most definitely wasn't the worst.  I give this book a solid three out of five stars and would recommend it to just about anyone...just be aware of the uncouth vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails