Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Friday!

I hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July/Independence Day!  Some of you might be aware of the fact that my husband is a bit of a pyromaniac this time of year.  It doesn't help that he has a friend/co-worker who's even more of a fireworks freak.  While David will be setting off his stash later on this weekend, we got to see a fantastic fireworks display on Wednesday night, courtesy of David's friend.  I didn't take any pictures of the actual show because, let's face facts...fireworks do NOT normally photograph well.  And I wasn't about to focus on getting a good shot, while missing half the show.  This was super intense, we were super close (and a part of me was scared the whole time), and it was super awesome.  Just look at all those fireworks!!


Because David was home all day yesterday, I decided to go all out for lunch and try a new recipe that I found on Pinterest (shocking, I know).  Boy was this a winner!  I mixed up the recipe just a tidbit, which I've outlined below.  But, here's the original blog post that I worked from: just click here.


Spicy Sausage Pasta
adapted from Kevin & Amanda: Delicious Recipes to Spice Up Your Dinner Rotation

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (plus a little more)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (4.5 oz) can of chopped green chilies
1/2 cup heavy cream
12 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Make sure all the pasta is submerged, so you may need to add more chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in cheese.  Serve and enjoy!!

P.S. I think this may be a new Dave's Fave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails