Thursday, March 18, 2010

PW Tres Leches Cake and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

I have been horrible about blogging for the past week.  Why?  Well...I've been cooking and baking...just not uploading my pics.  Sorry guys!  Be prepared for my next few posts to be ALL food related!  Yum! 

On Sundays or Mondays I usually make one dessert for the week and we snack on it after dinner each night.  Or at least David does, sometimes I have will power.  So, our dessert for dinner this week was the PW Tres Leches cake.  This cake is phenomenal and to get the recipe please click here.  Unfortunately, I did not take a pic of the cake I made...just got distracted by how good this cake is, I guess.  I will say, though, that this cake is extreeeeemely rich and because of this I will probably make it rarely.  You really have to be in the mood for a rich, moist cake.  Definitely something you might want to make in a large gathering as well.  Because the cake is so moist, it might be hard to keep for more than a couple or three days.  We snacked on it for about three...I wouldn't want to go any further than that.

Well, once I made this cake I realized that the last cup or so of milk mixture the wise and powerful PW tells you to discard.  Whaaaaa?  I hate waste and thought that surely I could find a good use for this tasty mixture...and I did!  I took an Eagle Brand recipe that is normally for Toffee Bars and mixed it up a little making chocolate peanut butter cookie bars.  Sound good or what!?  Below is my recipe and pics of my experiment.  I tried one and thought it was quite tasty and will be sending the rest to David's work...these types of cookies are sooo rich that I'd normally snack on them for days.  Who needs that when you're trying to lose weight for your wedding...in just over four months...aaahhhh!  Haha, just kidding.  I hope you enjoy this recipe!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 (12 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (12 ounce package) peanut butter bits
1 cup of milk mixture left over from PW Tres Leches Cake (if making this for the heck of it, just use a can of sweetened condensed milk AKA Eagle Brand instead)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl, stir together flour and sugar.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add egg; mix well.  Stir in half of the chocolate chips.  Reserving 1 1/2 cups of the mixture.  Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of 13x9-inch greased baking pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Pour milk mixture evenly over crust; top with half of the peanut butter bits.  Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture and the other half of chocolate chips on top.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Sprinkle with remaining peanut butter bits. 


Cool completely. Cut into bars.


And finally...ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails