Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spicy Shrimp

You might not have noticed, but I've added a few handy dandy tabs across the top of my blog.  While I was working on one last week, Dave's Faves, I discovered that one of my husband's favorite meals was not listed on my blog.  So, I decided that I needed to remedy that oversight immediately.

We're kinda big on shrimp around this household.  All three of us love them.  Molly especially; it's her favorite food.  What, don't believe me?  Well, let me give you a few reasons why I know this for a fact.  One, it's one of two types of food that she will drool for (the other is ice cream).  Two, she will indignantly bark at your feet while you are either peeling or cooking them.  Three, when David grills them she will purposefully get underfoot in hopes of him tripping and dropping delicious morsels on either end of the transportation route between kitchen and outside grill.  And four, she will beg shameless putting on her best teary-eyed expression and throwing in the periodic cold nose nudge.  Needless to say, when shrimp are on the menu, it's an experience in this house.  Such is the case when I make this recipe.

I found this particular recipe a while back on Souffle Bombay's blog.  You can view her original post about this recipe by clicking here.  I always cut the recipe in half (unless we have guests) and I cut down on the seasonings a bit.  But, it's almost exactly the same recipe otherwise.

Spicy Shrimp
adapted from Souffle Bombay

1 pound of raw shrimp (don't get the small guys, get big ones!)
a little more than 1/4 cup light olive oil
a little more than 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning - I use Old Bay
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
Tabasco - shake it until it fits the mood you're in...in my case, a lot
Cayenne pepper - again, shake it until it fits the mood you're in

Peel shrimp, remove the tails and pat dry.  Combine all ingredients except shrimp and whisk until fully incorporated.


Throw the shrimp into the marinade and stir around until they are all coated.
You can let the shrimp marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. Not much longer than that.


Skewer the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers.


Cook on the grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side - until all are pinked up and cooked through with a nice char. 


Remove the shrimp from the skewers and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails