Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Blueberries and Cream Pie

I hope everyone had a fantastic, long Labor Day weekend.  We certainly did, spending time with friends and family.  I wish every weekend included as much fun.

Blueberry season has officially been here.  I was so busy trying to bake and use up all the blueberries we've purchased recently, that I was a bit overwhelmed.  In the midst of all the baking, I was left with a little more than three cups of blueberries.  Hmmm...what to do?  Why not try this recipe I pinned the other day!



Sounds like a good idea, right?  So, I set about making said recipe...and David complained a little bit.  Any time I make a pie in this house he always requests his favorite, coconut cream.  I explained to him how we had extra blueberries left over and how I was trying to use them up.  In vain.  He didn't care.  That man can have a one track mind.  Oh well, I promised him a coconut cream pie soon.  And I actually followed through on that promise yesterday...mmmm, can't wait for supper time tonight for another slice.

But, back to this recipe.  First off, I started with my classic pie crust.  If you want a review on how to make it, simply click here.

Next up, I did exactly what the pinned recipe said...except I didn't use sour cream.  I used buttermilk.  I've listed my recipe below, but really that's the only difference (other than pie crust recipes) between mine and the original.  If you would like to view what I've modified from, simply click here.

Blueberries and Cream Pie
adapted from Gingerbread Bagels

Filling
3 cups blueberries
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crumb Topping
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg (about 1/16th teaspoon)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour

In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar and flour. Add in the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.

Put the blueberries on the bottom of the crust.  I didn't feel like making the crust pretty by adding crinkle edges this time...don't pay attention to that.


Pour the filling over the blueberries.


Now make the crumb topping. Mix together the sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.  Pour the melted unsalted butter into the bowl and mix everything together.  Add in the flour and mix until the ingredients form a crumble topping.

Crumble the crumb topping over the pie.  See, now you can't even tell I didn't crinkle the edges, haha!


Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Let the pie cool before cutting into slices.



Then enjoy!

 

Can someone please tell me the secret to cutting a pretty first slice of pie?  I guess it doesn't matter, since it all goes to the same place anyway...but, I would like that little bit of gratification sometimes.

This pie was really quite good.  David had a really hard time admitting that since he was trying to pout about not getting coconut cream, but he finally did.  I would definitely recommend this recipe and will probably be making it again.  More than likely next year when I have a surplus of blueberries again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails