Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nostalgia


I told you earlier this week how I decided to make a couple of desserts for the birthday commemorations in our families.  After feasting on the cheeseball Friday night, on Saturday afternoon post-lunch the entire family received a slice of the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie.  I mean, seriously, how can you go wrong with a pie when the crust is made out of crushed Oreos?  You can't, it's impossible.  If you'd like to see the recipe and beautiful pictures of the Pioneer Woman creating this delicatessen, just click on the picture from her blog below.


Once everyone had gorged themselves on pie and visited adequately, my family left and it was a bit quieter house.  While the guys chilled on the couches and read this n' that, my mother-in-law and I decided to make a batch of cookies.  Not just any batch of cookies, but a variety she recently discovered in one of her magazines.  When she told me about this find, I told her that my mom and I had been making those for years.  Literally, years.

These cookies bring back memories...of school days...of living in Kansas City...of fun times just handing out with my mom in the kitchen.  We actually perfected this simple recipe by making them ONLY with a specific brand name of the main ingredient.

Before I tell you the title of these cookies, I'm going to show you a picture of one first.  Because they're really quite delicious and delicious-looking.  I want you to give these cookies a chance...you'll know why momentarily.


See?  Just a regular, good-lookin' cookie, right?  So many people turn their nose up at these and refuse to even try one.  But, do you know how many people who I can get to actually try them, decide that they don't like them?  None.  Not one.  Because THEY ARE GOOD.

OK, now for me to reveal the big secret.  Scroll down...I threw in some spaces here because I simply didn't want you to take a quick peek down and then disregard this recipe...a lot of people are judgmental and would do that.  But, not you, right?

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

They're potato chip cookies.  And yes, you put real, salty, greasy, potato chips in the batter.  The best kind of potato chip that my mom and I have discovered is just the regular ol' Lays brand.  The thinner, more delicate and salty the chip...the better.  And Lays just fits that bill.

The salty/sweet combination of flavors within these cookies is so good.  I hadn't made them since...probably high school.  And they brought with them such a welcome, nostalgic feeling.  Here's the recipe:

Potato Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups crushed potato chips
1 (6 ounce) package butterscotch morsels

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.  I like to use my small scooper, but just be sure to make small cookies because these like to spread and if they're too big they'll take too long to bake and then, turn out hard.  That ain't no good.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

Yields approximately 36 cookies.

Please give these cookies a chance and try them out!  I'm begging you!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails