Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Turkey Buffalo Sloppy Joes

I found this recipe in my Food Network Magazine a few months ago and since I've tried it, it's become a go-to lunch meal for David.  David loves Buffalo chicken strips and he loves Sloppy Joes.  So, what's not to love about this recipe?  I will admit that in addition to always halving the original recipe, I've mixed it up a bit from the original.  Unfortunately, there's not a printable on the Food Network website, but you're welcome to print out my adaption below.

Turkey Buffalo Sloppy Joes
adapted from Food Network Magazine (October 2011 issue)

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/8 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
  • 1/8 cup Buffalo Tabasco sauce
  • 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
  • pepper
  • 4 whole wheat burger rolls, buttered and toasted
  • blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Directions


In a Dutch oven, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink.



The original recipe only calls for the hot sauce, not including the Tabasco.  But, the last time I was planning this recipe out, I found this PERFECT Tabasco sauce in the grocery store.  Definitely pick this stuff up and try it when you make this recipe!  Otherwise, just use a full 1/4 cup of the hot sauce.


Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, hot sauce, Tabasco, brown sugar, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce and pepper.  Heat through.

 

I served David's lunch with two full sets of buns and some chopped carrot sticks.  He doesn't like to eat cooked carrots as a side.


 

However, I do.  And I had made the PW's cooked carrots the night before, so I indulged in some leftovers for lunch.  (If you're interested in that recipe too, click here.)  I also only used half a bun for each serving and ate them with a fork, unlike my husband who eats them sandwich style.  I also sprinkled some delicious blue cheese on top.  Mmmm...

 

This is a great recipe that's super easy and ready in minutes!  I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails