Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Silver Screen Chick Lit

A certain percentage of the huge stack o' books that I got from my great-great aunt's house were those that had been converted from chick lit into chick flicks.  Recently, I've plowed through a few of them...all of them being quick and easy reads.  Each of these was like reconnecting with an old friend that you haven't talked to in a long, long time. 



First up, Where the Heart Is.  I love this movie...and I think it might have been Natalie Portman's first big movie.  I might hold it in a little extra regard simply because the vast majority of it takes place in Oklahoma too.  This one is excellently adapted from book to movie, with the book having a few extra details throughout.  No major parts were altered, so if you enjoyed the movie, then you'd also enjoy the book.


Next, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. This is actually the middle book in a trilogy and I went ahead and read the first (Little Altars Everywhere) and the last (Ya-Ya's in Bloom) books as well.  The verdict?  Just read Divine Secrets...the other two don't give you any extra backing for the story and I didn't particularly enjoy them.  There are a few major points that are different in Divine Secrets the book, but the main basis/theme of the story is the same in movie and book.


Third...The Notebook.  How, oh how, have I never read this?  I'm not sure.  But, this book is truly a joy to read.  I know that Nicholas Sparks is a supremely sappy author and you always feel manipulated into tears by the end.  However, I knew that going in...I've seen the movie many times...and it was a real joy to read this one.  There are certain scenes in the book that aren't as gritty as they are in the movie, which I appreciated.  A while back I also read The Wedding, which is a semi-sequel to this one...for my review of that book too, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails