Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

So, I had some almost-expired cream cheese in my fridge the other day.  Does that every happen to you? 

The question was, what to do with it?  I didn't want it to just go to waste...so, I riffled through my cook books and found a recipe for carrot cake cupcakes that I'd never made before.  Upon starting this post I noticed that it's an Barefoot Contessa recipe.  Hmmm...no wonder is was so good.  I did mix some of the ingredients up a little, but if you'd like to see Ina's original recipe then you can click here.

Carrot Cake Cupcakes
adapted from Barefoot Contessa

2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 extra-large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour plus one tablespoon
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
just over 1 pound grated carrots
1 cup raisins

For the frosting:

1 package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line muffins pans with paper liners.

Beat the sugar, oil and eggs together in bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.  Add vanilla. 

In another bowl, sift 2 cups of flour, the cinnamon, baking soda and salt.



Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Toss the carrots and raisins with 1 tablespoon of flour.

***Side note: Let me just say that I shredded whole carrots for this recipe instead of buying pre-shredded.  I did so with my food processor utilizing the shredding function for the very first time ever.  I've had this food processor for almost three years and oh my gosh, it was so fun.  Maybe I'm weird for enjoying something so simple like that, but oh well...that's me! 


Add to the batter and mix well.  Don't use paddle attachment, but rather a nice strong spoon or your hands.


With a large scoop, fill muffin cups until almost full.


Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack.


For frosting, mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment.  Add the confectioner's sugar a little at a time until smooth and the proper consistency.

 
Frost generously then ENJOY!


These were super delicious, David gave them two thumbs up so, I will definitely be making them again soon!  Highly recommend giving these a go!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails