Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fridge Raider


While I was eating my lunch today The Chew was on and their topic for the day was, "Fridge Raiders."  I don't watch this show everyday and actually rarely make their recipes.  I have tried to in the past and David doesn't typically care for them, for whatever reason.  However, I do love to hear what statistics and tips the crew shares, so if it happens to be on at the optimal time for me...score.

Today they focused on how the average American has moldy food in their fridge right now (ewww) and how they, the chefs, could help you make a full meal without letting those delicious foods you already have spoil.  Well, I thought it'd be fun to share what my fridge looks like.  It's almost always full and I have to say that, unfortunately, a lot of times there is a spoiled food hidden in there somewhere.  In fact, right now I've got a couple avocados that got beyond that "perfect" point in my basket on the counter, so they've been relegated to the fridge to slow down that ripening process...I'll be eating them on up within the next 24-48 hours so they don't fully spoil.

I will say, obviously, I keep other grocery items in my two freezers.  Including almost all of our meat.  Unless I'm making it that day, all meat is kept frozen.  So, don't think we're vegetarians around here just by looking at the fridge...you know my husband has to have his meat!

I'll give a quick and dirty summary of what you're seeing here, working in a clockwise fashion from the top right. 

Right top shelf:
  • G2 bottles (gotta have my gym beverages)
  • opened tomato paste can
  • Molly's wet dog food can
  • maple syrup
Right second shelf:
  • hummus
  • opened pumpkin can
  • peeled and sliced cucumbers
  • butter
  • lemon curd (it's delicious ya'll, try it out)
  • Greek yogurt
  • regular yeast and yeast for our bread maker
Right third shelf:
  • eggs
  • lettuce
  • spinach (tucked behind)
Right under third shelf:
  • green onions
  • parsley
  • rhubarb (yay for rhubarb season!!)
Right first drawer:
  • baby carrots
  • green beans
  • broccoli
  • more green onions (separated from the others, so I know which is older)
Right bottom drawer:
  • full-size carrots
  • cucumbers
Left bottom drawer:
  •  various cheeses including: Parmesan, Romano, cheddar, cream and monterey jack
Left first drawer:
  • a grapple
  • Bartlett pears
  • Honeycrisp apples
  • lemons
  • aforementioned avocados
Left main shelf:
  • OJ
  • tea
  • 1% milk
  • mushrooms
  • three containers of leftovers including two of Italian meatball soup (PW's recipe) and a pasta dish from Pinterest
Left second shelf:
  • corn and flour tortillas
  • whole wheat hamburger buns
  • salmon rolls (impulse buy at the grocery store that I haven't decided is worthy of a repeat)
Left top shelf:
  • whole wheat bread
  • whole wheat hotdog buns
  • coleslaw mix


Right door contents:
  • butter
  • mayo
  • sun-dried tomatoes
  • green olives
  • crescent rolls
  • pickle relish
  • seafood stock
  • chicken broth
  • ketchup
  • spicy mustand
  • BBQ sauce
  • Diet Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero for when either of my parents visit

Left door contents:

  • Caesar dressing x2 (one's almost empty, obviously)
  • Ranch dressing
  • coleslaw dressing
Whatcha think?  Is my fridge similar in contents to yours?  Do you have more spoiled food or less (zero)?  Is there anything in my fridge that surprised you?  What would you suggest I add for everyday living?  Is there something in my fridge that makes you want to go out and buy it now?

2 comments:

  1. That is a full fridge...I don't think I ever have that much food in mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya, that looks like mine....full full full!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails