Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Michael J. Fox, Part One - Lucky Man

I love 80s movies and one of my favorites is the Back To The Future trilogy.  Of course, after watching this as a child I decided that I had to see everything Michael J. Fox was in.  His character, Marty McFly, was so likable and Fox was such a good actor. 

I never was hooked on Fox as Alex P. Keaton...mostly because I was one of the few people that never watched Family Ties.  I know, I'm weird.  Or maybe it's the fact that the show ran from 1982 until 1989 and I was everything from a toddler to a grade-schooler in that time?  Perhaps that's a good reason...

Regardless, I decided that my next nonfiction set of books should be Fox's memoirs.  Here's the first one, Lucky Man.  David and I listened to this audiobook on our last trip to Kansas City to watch the Chiefs game. 

David was really not excited to listen to this audiobook, but quickly got "in" to it after a few short chapters.  The book outlines Fox's life through 2003.  Everything from Family Ties to Back to the Future to Spin City is discussed as well as his parents, his wife and children and even his drinking binges... 

The book starts out with Fox waking up to his first morning of the beginnings of Parkinson's.  This being an uncontrollably trembling pinkie finger after a night out on the town with Woody Harrelson.  From there Fox flashes back outlining how he became the person he currently was and gradually moves forward from that point throughout the book.  The book ends with Fox determined to find a cure for Parkinson's within the next decade.

I thought this was a very well-written memoir and I can't wait to read his second, Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist.  It might be a bit...David has insisted on listening to it with me as well, so it's saved for our next roadtrip.  Be looking for part two of this post!

P.S. Fox has released another book recently (this year) that's titled A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future.  This might be a good read too!

1 comment:

  1. I must read this book too. Did you get in hardcopy or just audio?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails