Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Marley and Me

I've done a lot of reading recently.  Can you tell?  Either that or I'm horribly behind on blogging...hmmm...maybe it's a little of both!

Like I normally do, I went to Half-Price Books a while back and was looking for some good audio-books.  This one, Marley and Me, jumped out at me.  I know it was made into a movie...and it's a tear jerker...and it's the last thing a dog-lover like me needs to read.  Unless you want a good cry.  My mom had watched the movie and when I said I was going to buy the book she asked, "Why?  You know how it ends and it's soooo not worth it."  She balled at the movie, obviously.

When I was nine, my mom and I bought my stepdad a birthday present...a puppy.  A westie puppy, we named Ruffles.  And prior to my mom watching this movie my nineteen year old lovely little "sister" had died.  It was hard on all of us.  The last couple years of her life Ruffles couldn't see or hear anything.  In the end, when she was put to sleep...it was best.  She wasn't suffering anymore.

My mom had already told me that this book ended similarly, so I was prepared. 

There was a section at the end of the book I related to greatly.  John comes up behind Marley and starts talking to him while Marley is devouring the remains of grilled cheese sandwiches on the kitchen table.  Marley doesn't hear anything until the very end of the scene, then drops to the floor completely taken by surprise.  I don't know how many times I went to pick up Ruffles her last year or so of life and she started like a bomb was going off next to her when she felt my hands on her ribs.  It broke my heart. 

But, truly dogs are one of the more wonderful creatures in this world.  And this book tells it perfectly.  Dogs are never without flaws.  They'll be destructive, eat the most inconvenient items, cause you to procure vast vet bills...but, in the end...the loyalty, love and devotion they provide you with...it's so much more than worth it!

Needless to say, I LOVED this book.  Ending and all.  But, I still think I'll pass on the movie.  I had a good enough cry with the book.

I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the book...

"Animal lovers are a special breed of humans, generous of spirit, full of empathy, perhaps a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as a cloudless sky."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails