Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Light and Fun Reads

OK, so back to playing catch-up.  I thought I'd try to catch up a little on the reads I have finished recently.  Here are just a few, all grouped into this same blog post because they are all (did you read the post title?) light and fun.

The Last Original Wife



This book is a fun, summery read.  Leslie Anne Greene Carter is the last original wife of her husband's middle-aged, upper class, golf-playing, country-club livin' co-worker and friends group.  This story tackles some serious issues and includes a douse of humor along the way.  It was a good, solid chick lit that would be ideal for a vacation read.

Summerland


I'm not sure I'd truly classify this book as light and fun...simply because there's a car wreck, a fair amount of death and infidelity in this book.  However, this wasn't really a book that bogged me down at the same time, which is why I'm including it in this grouping.  This book explores the reality of what a tight-knit community can be, especially during a tragedy.  It was well written and I enjoyed it all the way up until the end.  The girl that dies in this book I could never really understand or connect with...therefore, I only gave it two stars...sorry Elin!

The Secret Life of Bees


Yes, I've read the book and seen the movie now (though, not in that order).  This was another book that was in the massive pile from my great-great aunt's house.  I'm glad I read it because it truly is a wonderful story.  I won't explore this book any more because, unless you've lived under a rock, you're aware of the story.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

This book is in rotation in my book club.  A very whimsical, cute read that, again, tackles some serious topics (miscarriages, mental health, infidelity, etc.).  I really enjoyed this one, though about three-quarters of the way through it, I wasn't sure where the author was taking the story...  No worries, it ended up well (even if I was rather perturbed with the father by the end).  Give this one a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails