Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blogging Spring Break?



It's been over a week since I've been on here...yikes!  That was totally unintentional, but I guess sometimes life gets in the way.  Which, I'm totally OK with by the way!  Want a quick recap of what's going on in our lives?

First off, we have signs of life in our garden!  To the right is the first shoot from our asparagus bed.  When we first moved here David was insistent on the idea of having fresh asparagus.  He grew up with a patch at his parents' house and even had started a patch at the house he lived at when we first met.  However, when you're moving around constantly, like we were there for a bit, you don't get the chance to grow something like this.

In case you're unaware, you can't harvest asparagus the first year that you plant it.  You can't even harvest it the second year.  Well...technically you could, but it'll be puny little stuff and won't reseed itself.  You're technically supposed to wait until the third or fourth year before you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

At this point you might be asking how we're going to eat this stuff this year considering that we've lived in our home only 1 1/2 years.  Well, when David made his asparagus order he picked out two-year old asparagus crowns.  After waiting through last year, just to make sure the asparagus took well, this year we'll be enjoying these bad boys freshly cut from our own back yard.  In case you can't tell, I'm super excited about it.  Though, I will say that David and I have refrained from buying asparagus at the grocer or ordering asparagus in a restaurant within the past month.  When this stuff is ready we'll be eating it every meal and my tolerance for it lasts only about as long as it's harvest-able.  It's always interesting to me how the length of a vegetable or fruit's season lasts around the length of time it takes you to fully gorge yourself into a mild repulsion of said item.  I feel this way about asparagus as well as many other fruits and vegetables.

Next up from my mini-Spring break from blogging last week?  I did finish a couple of books, but neither are super noteworthy.  Because of that I'll be brief about both.



The Rise of Nine is the latest (third) book in the Lorien Legacies series.  If you're not familiar with this series, you might remember the movie I Am Number Four which brings to life the first book.  This first book held a lot of promise and the second book, The Power of Six, was still pretty good.  However, I felt that this most recent book lost a little bit of the momentum that this series had going for it.  There is supposed to be a total of six books written for this series, with the fourth coming out in August of this year.  I'm really hoping that the next one is more enjoyable than this most recent installment.  If you were to ask me how I felt about this book I'd probably just shrug my shoulders and say, "Meh."  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either.

The second book I finished with lackluster pizazz was this one.


The Glimmer Palace is a historical fiction novel surrounding the life of a Lilly Nelly Aphrodite.  The story follows the birth, childhood and young adult story of this soon-to-be, some day, great actress.  I borrowed this audiobook from a member of my book club and while it could be entertaining and somewhat interesting...I just never got into it.  The protagonist never had me rooting for her because I just never felt that connection.  Plus, the ending was kind of sad and left me walking about thinking, "That's it?  Well, OK then."  Overall, just not my favorite.

I do promise that I have some fantastic book reviews in store for you soon.  In the meantime, I probably wouldn't necessarily recommend these.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails