Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Healthy Taquitos!

This past Friday I did something pretty amazing...I got an iPhone.  Specifically, the iPhone 4S.  I'm not one to need the latest and greatest, most cutting-edge technology when it comes to phones.  But, in the past year I've had REALLLLY bad luck with cell phones.  And I don't understand it.  The usage of my cell phone has dropped dramatically, yet the last two phones I have had appeared to be super delicate and started messing up almost immediately.  Could it be a conspiracy amongst the cell phones manufacturers?

I'll bring you up to speed...one month after moving to San Antonio (April 2011) I bought an HTC slide phone.  I'd heard good things about these types of phones.  I bought the hard case to protect it and...lo and behold, two months later the texting stopped working when the phone was vertical.  I had to turn it horizontal ever.single.time to text.  Annoying, yes.  Deal-breaker, no.  Then, when we moved to Tulsa in November (2011), the phone started to mess up even more.  I figured, I only have a few more months to go for an upgrade, I can make it.  In February (2012), I accidentally dropped it (in the case) and the entire screen cracked and went super dim.  I hobbled along for a week or so, but then bought a new Blackberry off eBay.  I figured I just needed it to get me through to April (2012), when I'd claim my yearly upgrade.  April came and went and the Blackberry was suiting me just fine, so I figured I'd keep it for a while longer.  No point in buying it and dumping it just because an upgrade was available.  Then, within the past month/couple weeks it started to act up and I figured I just needed to wait a few more days until the iPhone 5 came out...that way I could get the 4S for cheaper than it was pre-iPhone 5 release.

You know, you hear that once you get an iPhone, you'll never go back.  It's been pretty fantastic thus far...I never realized how much more user-friendly they could be!  And there are sooooo many useful apps.  I figured out this week that there is a Hobby Lobby app, so you don't have to print off their weekly coupon to provide to the cashier.  Rock on.  Let's hope the cell phone honeymoon period here doesn't last a mere 6-9 months like it has with my past two cells.  Cross your fingers for me...it's encased in an Otterbox, so we should be good!

One of the things that's super fantastic about my new iPhone is the camera.  It's way better than any camera phone I've had before...in fact, I decided to take a picture of our supper from Sunday night and Tweet the pic.


Delicious-looking, no?  They were.  Big time.  I got this recipe from Giada's show, "Giada at Home"...also referred to by David as "Boobs at Home."  Have you ever watched this girl?  She's cute and skinny, the daughter of a chef and model, I believe.  The ol' saying goes to never trust a skinny cook, but I like to watch some because I feel they're more healthy.  I can't continuously watch other cooking shows (which shall remain nameless) where every recipe starts with a stick of butter or a cup of whole milk/cream.  At least, if I make a Giada recipe, I know my waist won't be expanding later on that day/evening.

But seriously, look at the girl.  She kinda deserves the nickname David has dubbed her with.  This is the kind of outfit she seems to wear EVERY EPISODE.


But, I digress.  Giada's recipe was delicious and I highly recommend you trying it.  David doesn't even like black beans and still really liked this recipe...of course, I waited until he said it was tasty before I revealed that tidbit of information.


Here's the recipe and if you'd like a quick and easy printable, just click here.

Turkey and Spinach Taquitos

Ingredients
Vegetable oil cooking spray
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, minced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 packed cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup mascarpone, at room temperature (8 ounces)
Eighteen 6 1/2-inch-diameter extra-thin or regular corn tortillas
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup shredded white or extra sharp Cheddar (4 ounces)

Serving suggestion: salsa or guacamole

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Spray a heavy nonstick baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. 

For the filling: Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch skillet. Cook the onions, salt and pepper, stirring frequently, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the turkey and cumin. Cook until the turkey is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the beans. Mash the beans until smooth, using a fork. Stir in the mascarpone. Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush each side of the tortillas with olive oil. Cook the tortillas in batches until warm, about 30 seconds.

Spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling into each tortilla and roll up into a cigar shape. Place the tortillas, seam-side-down, on the baking sheet and sprinkle with Cheddar.

Bake until the Cheddar is melted and the tortillas are crisp and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve with salsa and guacamole.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I think I will try it. I've attempted to make taquitos with the frying method before and it was a big mess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails