Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Winter Garden

My friend, Nicole, discovered a newly beloved author a couple months ago.  Kristin Hanna has published a number of books and if you'd like to visit her personal website, click here.  Nicole has been inhaling this author's books and has loved every single one that she's read to date.  Winter Garden is the first book I've been able to get my hands on via our book club.  And let me tell you, I was not disappointed.



The gist of this story involves two very dissimilar sisters (Meredith and Nina) trying to fulfill their father's dying request, to get to know their mother.  Neither have ever felt very loved by their mother, Anya; she's just not the "mothering" type.  Because of this, over the years neither daughter has made any real effort to get to know their mother. 

Once each of the three women decide to set aside their differences, an amazing story begins to unfold.  Anya has been telling the girls a very specific "fairy tale" since they were small children...her husband requests that she tell the full fairy tale to the girls on his death bed.  This book is the gradual telling of this Russian fairy tale...that's perhaps not quite so fantastical (or fictional) after all... 

Anya has a very thick Russian accent and if you can get your hands on the audiobook version of this book...do it.  That's how I read this book and the reader did a fabulous job; it adds a little something to the story telling...

Needless to say, I highly recommend this book and can't wait to read another Hannah novel!  Firefly Lane is sitting in my "to read" pile as I type!

1 comment:

  1. I Love her and I have read 5 of hers in the last month or so and I loved everyone

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails