Friday, May 21, 2010

Go-To Recipe for Banana Bread

To say that David loves banana bread is an understatement.  He adores me when I make this recipe, so obviously it's a Dave's Fave.  Well, we had a few overly ripe bananas laying around on the counter, so I decided to whip this up.  This is a perfect breakfast snack for him in the morning before work.

I've tried a few banana bread recipes and this one is by far my favorite.  It's quick and easy and you can make little additions here and there if you want.  There is no need for a mixer, just sitr it all up with a wooden spoon.  Want to add a little nutmeg?  Go ahead.  Want to add a few chocolate chips?  No harm, no foul.  Want to add some nuts?  I don't know why you would because they're gross, but go right ahead if you please.  Once prepared the bread should look something like the below picture, beautifully and unevenly cracked down the middle.  Enjoy!

Banana Bread

3-4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.  Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla.  Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.  Add the flour last, mix. 

Pour mixture into a butter 4x8 inch loaf pan.  Bake for one hour. 

Cool on a rack. 

Remove from pan and slice to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds wonderful! I like banana bread but my number one favorite is gingerbread! I make it year-round. Who says it has to be for the holidays only?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How opportune...my friends have been begging me for banana cake. Can I sub oil for butter?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails