Thursday, March 17, 2011

Same Kind of Different as Me

I was in the perfect place when I read this book.  Literally.  And when I picked this book up, I didn't think I would like it very much.  I'm probably guilty of that old sin of judging a book by it's cover.  It's not the most appealing cover, am I right?  But, let me tell you...this book does not disappoint.

This is basically a sort-of Cinderella-story type memoir.  An international art dealer, Ron Hall, and a homeless man, Denver Moore, give a little bit of background about themselves, then you read about how they develop a lasting friendship. 

Why was I in the perfect place when reading this book?  When I was halfway through, I attended the annual Hearts of Hope Tea here in Oklahoma City.  What is the Hearts of Hope Tea, you ask?  Well, the local homeless shelter, City Rescue Mission, has this annual tea to share with women of Oklahoma City what the Mission is accomplishing and what future plans are.  I was lucky enough to attend this tea with some of my favorite ladies, members of Junior Hospitality Club.  The entire presentation was very heart-warming, not to mention the food was good!  I feel honored as being one of the donors at the end of the tea that raised enough money to refurnish the Women's Center this coming year.  To learn more about this click here!

With that being said, you can probably understand why I was really "in tune" with this book while I was reading it.  In fact, that night after the tea I immediately went home and had to finish this book.  I would highly recommend this book, especially if you're looking for something that you will feel good about when you close the back cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails