Thursday, November 15, 2012

Orange Overload

A couple weeks ago David brought home an entire bag of fresh Louisiana oranges.  There were some guys from his work that had been down around the bayou for a work trip and picked up a bunch of bags for the office.  David brought these in on a Thursday or Friday, I can't remember which, and I waited until Monday to start makin' something with these babies...in the interim we noticed that the house had a weird metallic/paint smell.  We searched high and low for this smell, but it wasn't until Monday that I realized what was the culprit...these suckers were RIPE.


Gag!  Who knew that foul oranges could give off such an odor!  After disposing of the...ahem...ripest variety, I washed off the "still edible and beautifully ripe" ones and began deciding on what to make.  Obviously, I needed to work fast if I wanted to keep the rest from going to waste.  Here's what I had to work with.


I ended up choosing a variety of recipes that I've never made before, simply because I don't make orange-flavored items very often.  And because I had to perform a mass baking project that day, most of the items ended up going into our freezer.  Therefore, I can't tell you how well some of them taste because...we haven't tried them yet. 

I will start out this orange-themed series of posts with this scone recipe, which I have eaten.  It's a Barefoot Contessa, so how can you really go wrong?  I liked them pretty well and the dough turns out beautifully, even if at the end of the mixing process it does get a mind of it's own and tries to jump out of the bowl...seriously, it clumps and starts to rise up out of the mixing bowl. 

Click here for the link to the printable recipe...enjoy!








1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails