Monday, January 31, 2011

A Reliable Wife

I was really looking forward to reading this book, A Reliable Wife.  My mother reads about five books per year and when she finds a good one, she always gets excited to have me read it.  While I was holding on to her copy, a few of the girls in my book club came up with this book as well.  My mom really like it while the girls in T3 (my book club is "Tolstoy to Twilight") gave it a decent review even though none of them were doing backflips over it.

The basic storyline involves an older man, Ralph Truitt, placing an ad for "a reliable wife"...hence the title...and what ensues when this woman, Catherine Land, replies in the affirmative to the ad.  Both have ulterior motives for the arrangement...but, neither one knows the other's designs.

I have to honestly say that I was greatly disappointed in this book.  Don't get me wrong, the writing style is very good and the plot twists and turns well...even though I saw the twist coming from a mile away.  What bothered me was how sexually graphic, violent and disturbing it was.  And I was not happy with the ending, I kind of had the feeling of, "That's it?  Well, that's messed up."

Would I recommend this book...as you can probably already guess, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails