Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Eve Book Pre-Discussion

Today I fully intended to have posted about either of these two books. I'm very near completing both of them, just not quite done yet. After thinking about it this morning, however, I decided that perhaps neither of these novels are completely appropriate for discussion on Thanksgiving Eve. Then as I started writing this blog, I realized you could actually take the opposite argument. Next week I'll go into more detail about the storylines for each of these books and why I feel this way. Today I just want to state how thankful I am to live in a society that is not in extreme turmoil nor is oppressive (as oppossed to the societies in each of these books). Each of these books are extremely well written and have excellent storylines and I look forward to writing more about each next week.

Since I can't give either of these novels a full book review currently I want to take a moment to share my current schedule for book reading. David's sister's boyfriend, Evan, (I know, confusing, still with me?) explained his system to me earlier this year and I thought it was a good idea. Evan alternates non-fiction reading with fiction reading. So, if he has just completed a fiction novel, he will then make sure the next book he picks up is non-fiction. I'm also trying to do this because I feel it can help mold one into a more well-rounded reader. If you're constantly reading Danielle Steele or autobiographies then perhaps you're never exposed to the variety and different writing styles of another genre. While this is a great idea I also want to add another genre of book to this repertoire. Classics. I have a huge collection of classics in beautiful leather-bound volumes. A lot I have read, but a lot I have not. So, from here on out I will try to stick to this schedule as much as possible. My next read will be New Moon, obviously fiction. In fact, I'm on a deadline because my friend, Susan, wants to see the movie next week and I must finish it prior to our movie date. However, don't be surprised if I read another fiction or so behind it as the two books above as well as my previous read were all non-fiction. And as I'll explain next week, one of the above has drained me a little while reading.

Until then I will be busy spending time with family and friends amongst plates of scrumptious food! Tonight I will be baking a pie with my mother and tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will be preparing a green bean casserole and deviled eggs. In the meantime, I hope everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday and stays safe over the long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails